Confession time. I haven't always been so great at this. In fact I used to be pretty terrible at this. Why? Because I love a nice, clean, quiet and clutter-free home. And with three boys and an entourage of neighbor boys comes mass destruction. Okay, that's a bit of an exaggeration. But undeniable to anyone that has boys is the realization that they can be dirty, loud and simply gross at times :) And of course when you're the "it" house on the street, multiply the dirt, noise and over all boy grossness with each and every one that walks through your front door.
I also, somewhere along the way, turned into a mom on the street that out of a bit of fear and "protection" for my children, kept them relatively hidden at times from other kids on the street who say words or exhibit behaviors that aren't acceptable in our home and shut the door on the rest. Understandable and necessary in some ways. Obviously young children are impressionable and it's imperative to keep a watchful eye.
Recently as I've been praying for the Lord to give me eyes to see what's all around me, I am so very heart broken, challenged and encouraged at the same time. Let me explain. It's easy to see a kid exhibiting bad behavior and suddenly see the kid as the problem and tell your child to stay clear of said trouble maker. But is the kid the problem? Or is the kid simply acting out because their home life is a mess. Um, but I live in Sherwood. Mayberry USA, right? Isn't the population 50% Christian and the other 50% LDS?
I think our "Leave it To Beaver" image has caused people, including myself, to turn a blind eye to the evil that is going on all around us. Evil? Yes. Pure evil. Let's call it what it is.
"But Johnny's parents are still married. They have a beautiful home and lawn, their kids play sports... I don't see a problem." I urge you to ask the Lord to allow you to see more closely. There are so many sins that fly under the radar that can literally destroy a child. Do you realize that? And do you realize the enemy has quite a lot to gain in that process? Let's take families who glorify alcohol and it becomes an idol in their home. Families where the fathers are in their 40s yet act like they're still in a Frat, talk about their kegs, have poker and football parties and in doing so, indulge in a lot of alcohol consumption. And then during a friendly neighborhood block party, watch as their very children begin to be the ones mixing the drinks. Do you see a problem yet?
Let's look at sexual perversion, shall we? Families who allow their children to watch completely inappropriate television, listen to crude music, and quite frankly exhibit sexuality period to their own kiddos through their own serious sinful addictions.
"Oh, come on Laura.. lighten up. It's not that bad."
But what if we looked more closely and got a glimpse inside these homes?
If people are willing to flaunt their sin outside openly on the street for all of us to see, then what are they ashamed of enough to keep hidden?
What is hidden on the inside of the very homes these children live in? I fear even asking.
The world is getting darker and more evil by the day. As believers we are not to just turn a blind eye. Get so "busy" with our carpools, our jobs, our commitments, our after school this and that... And worse, stay in the safety of our own little Christian circles and forget how desperately the children right on our own street need us. How the children in our schools need us. How the children in our church need us. Not because they really need us, but because they need Jesus.
If you live in a neighborhood, you live in a mission field. And I've been convicted and reminded personally to take a look at what Jesus has to say about children in His Word.
But Jesus said, “Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven.”
Matthew 18:5
How will children come to Jesus if their families don't know Him? It will be through someone willing to welcome them.
Most assuredly, I say to you, he who receives whomever I send receives Me; and he who receives Me receives Him who sent Me.”
John 13:20
Whoever receives one little child like this in My name receives Me.
Matthew 18:5
Do we even know what an incredible honor it is to show a child a glimpse of Jesus' love? To welcome a boy who may mess up our homes a little with his dirty shoes? To take the time just to listen to him. To allow him into your home to play with your children? To give him an after school snack?
We have the incredible blessing of being able to touch the lives of children and bless them in the name of Jesus. If you are a teacher, you are put in an incredible position. If you are a children's ministry helper you have an amazing responsibility. If you are a parent, the Lord is entrusting us with the gift of raising His children. This does not mean doing everything right all the time. If anything, with each passing day I realize how much I fail my children all the time. If we could just switch our focus to Jesus and off of ourselves I know our kids would do so much better. Jesus is always our answer. His Word should be our instruction manual.
Let us not focus so much on which parenting method is "best," which choice in feeding, schooling and vaccinating is wisest. But what if we unplugged and pulled back a bit from distraction and busyness and put our focus on the Lord and purpose to spend the precious time we do have as families diving deeper into Him. Of course we will fail as moms and dads. But let's make it our priority to point our children straight to Jesus who never fails.
And then we come across this sobering verse:
Matthew 18:6
Pretty intense warning.
Here is my concern honestly. Why as Christians are we suddenly pulling out of all the very places we are needed the most? Why are we practically hiding in our homes? Why are we only associating with people who seemingly have it altogether already? Of course it's more comfortable for us to keep hidden in our safe "believer-only" circles, to only allow our children to play with children who go to our same church and have the same standard of behavior. I have been there. But are we doing so because we're afraid of something? Afraid if our kids are exposed to the world at all they'll be ruined?
It's all about the foundation we lay down at home honestly. It's making sure our homes are firmly grounded in Jesus and rooted deeply in Him.
And if we do that, what should we as believers be afraid of?
It is in fact so evident that we are in the midst of a very real and very intense battle as the world keeps getting darker all around us. The bible verifies that in Ephesians...
For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. - Ephesians 6:12
And I believe the enemy is seeking children more than ever in our country to destroy. Just look at sexuality in children these days. Look at alcohol and drug consumption in kids. It's nothing short of alarming and tragic.
So what do we do? As moms we are so afraid of doing the wrong thing out of a very real and intense love of our children. But do we as believers need to be in fear of our enemy at all ?
1 John 4:4
Whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the strength of my life;
Of whom shall I be afraid? ...
Psalm 27:1
Then do we need to fear for our children? I love in Matthew 18:10 that we get to see that each of our children has a guardian angel. A guardian angel? Yep.
Take heed that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that in heaven their angels always see the face of My Father who is in heaven.
Matthew 18:10
Does this mean we aren't on our knees constantly? Of course not. It means we are. Does this mean if I choose public, private or homeschooling I'm doing the wrong thing? No. What about the other decisions in parenting? Breast or bottle? Vaccines or not? Seek the Lord first in all of your parenting decisions ...
Colossians 3:15
I personally am so thankful for the opportunity to evangelize in our neighborhood and local elementary school. I love watching my boys shine their bright lights before their teachers and classmates. We are so honored to get to be a part of that. To demonstrate even a small amount of Jesus' light to children especially, is a blessing too great to put into words.

No comments:
Post a Comment