Friday, June 5, 2009

Updates

Just a couple of quick updates....
First of all, thanks so much for the votes and input on our name decision! It's amazing how much thought people really put into reasons for/against names (ourselves included).
We have decided that we're not going with Jacob. We've always struggled with the meaning. Some people don't care a bit about meanings... we do :) We love the meanings of Joshua (Jehovah saves) Michael (one who is like Jehovah) and Matthew (gift from God) Bryan (noble).
Luke means bearer of light and we are both really liking the name. We agreed that Luke Caleb didn't flow well with the k/c sounds going on. So... all of that to say we both think Ryan is a great name and flows well with Luke so we are *pretty* certain this little boy will be Luke Ryan. I must say that this is the first of our kiddos that we've struggled a bit with naming. Give us 12 girls however and we could happily name them all in perfect harmony :)

Second update... I had my ultrasound to get an estimated size because of the measuring big factor. I am very happy to report that this little guy measured totally average at this point (4lbs. 15ozs - 55th percentile). Ultrasounds of course can be off but thankfully even in the last couple of years the technology has improved and their margin of error is now about 10-15%.
So the measuring big is for two reasons. First of all I have excess amniotic fluid. Not enough to cause major concern. The second factor is that at 33 weeks this baby is still in his favorite position... transverse. That means that he's laying cross ways... head on my right side, bum on my left to be exact. It's not at all too late for him to assume the proper head down position so I'm not too worried. Transverse is the least common position by time of delivery... 1 in 2500 babies. Of course if he stayed that way it makes a cesarean a certainty. We'll cross that bridge if and when we come to it. In the meantime I am reading all kinds of fun ways to turn a baby :) Some are quite funny!

Thanks so much for all your prayers, input and comments!

2 comments:

Abby said...

Laura-
Avery was also breech and actually was turned 3 times in the hospital. I can give you more info on it if you want. I didn't want a c-section so opted for this and while it wasn't comfortable it also wasn't horrible and did eventually work. She turned and then turned herself back each time but they finally got her turned and started labor and I held still until her head engaged. Such fun.... ;)
Abby

Laura said...

Abby, I've been reading a lot about what you're referring to. If we get to that point I would love more information. Right now I am hopeful that he'll turn on his own :)
I will do whatever I can to avoid a c-section. It's absolutely something I am opposed to unless absolutely necessary for the health of either the baby or myself.
I'll let you know if this one is stubborn. Lord help me.. Could he be a red head?? :) :) :) :)