Isaiah 44: 1-8
1 “Yet hear me now, O Jacob My servant,
And Israel whom I have chosen.
2 Thus says the LORD who made you
And formed you from the womb, who will help you:
‘ Fear not, O Jacob My servant;
And you, Jeshurun, whom I have chosen.
3 For I will pour water on him who is thirsty,
And floods on the dry ground;
I will pour My Spirit on your descendants,
And My blessing on your offspring;
4 They will spring up among the grass
Like willows by the watercourses.’
5 One will say, ‘I am the LORD’s’;
Another will call himself by the name of Jacob;
Another will write with his hand, ‘The LORD’s,’
And name himself by the name of Israel.
There Is No Other God
6 “ Thus says the LORD, the King of Israel,
And his Redeemer, the LORD of hosts:
‘ I am the First and I am the Last;
Besides Me there is no God.
7 And who can proclaim as I do?
Then let him declare it and set it in order for Me,
Since I appointed the ancient people.
And the things that are coming and shall come,
Let them show these to them.
8 Do not fear, nor be afraid;
Have I not told you from that time, and declared it?
You are My witnesses.
Is there a God besides Me?
Indeed there is no other Rock;
I know not one.’”
Notes (condensed) from Jon Courson's Application Commentary:
Here the Lord is encouraging Israel - here called Jacob or "righteous nation," to not be afraid, that He would pour out the water of His spirit upon a dry land. But it also speaks to us personally, for the Lord promises that He will pour water upon he who is thirsty and blessing upon his offspring. To whom does the Lord pour out His Spirit? Simply to those who are thirsty. And, in that, is a real key. We overcomplicate and overmystify the work of the Spirit in many cases when, in reality, the prerequisite for an outpouring of the Spirit upon your life is simply to say "Lord, I'm thirsting for more of You." That's why Jesus said the woman who admits her hunger will be filled (Matthew 5:6)
If you're not thirsty, if you don't have a desire to experience a fuller measure of the Spirit flowing through your life, how do you become thirsty? Ask a jogger or a basketball player. If you start expending energy and start sweating a bit, you'll find yourself thirsty real fast. The key is to get out and start ministering. Start sharing, loving, and caring - for it is when you're in the place on loving your neighbor, of sharing with your friends and family, of witnessing to your coworker, of expending energy, that you begin to thirst more of the Lord.
Lord, thank you so much for the promises of your perfect Word.
Matthew 5:6 tells us "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness for they shall be filled."
If you're not thirsty, if you don't have a desire to experience a fuller measure of the Spirit flowing through your life, how do you become thirsty? Ask a jogger or a basketball player. If you start expending energy and start sweating a bit, you'll find yourself thirsty real fast. The key is to get out and start ministering. Start sharing, loving, and caring - for it is when you're in the place on loving your neighbor, of sharing with your friends and family, of witnessing to your coworker, of expending energy, that you begin to thirst more of the Lord.
Lord, thank you so much for the promises of your perfect Word.
Matthew 5:6 tells us "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness for they shall be filled."
Thank you for the promise and power of your Spirit and the water of your Word. Please let it continually fill my life to such a point that it must pour out onto those around me. In Jesus' name, amen.

No comments:
Post a Comment