Lamentations 3:22-23
22 Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed,
for his compassions never fail.
23 They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.
I am going to quote directly from my favorite bible commentator, Jon Courson. I LOVE what his online devotion has to teach me today.
The Lord ordered our lives in such a way that every day after about sixteen or eighteen hours, we go to bed and basically “die.” To me, His plan is ingenious because I find that after about sixteen hours of living, I’ve pretty much messed it up. I’ve dropped the ball once too often and fumbled one too many times. I need to die and start over in a fresh way. So I think it’s wonderful that God lets us "die" every eighteen hours.
How I love the morning hours. Whether I spend them at church, in my place of prayer at home, or walking the streets of town on a spring or summer morning, I love the morning when it’s quiet, when I can receive a piping hot batch of mercy fresh from the oven of God’s grace.
Here are some great scriptures confirming the Lord's call for His people to seek Him early each day:
Proverbs 31:15 She riseth also while it is yet night, and giveth meat to her household, and a portion to her maidens.
I am so thankful that that we get do-overs every day! Truly if you want things to change in your home and in your life, carving out the time to get yourself out of bed to spend one on one time with the Lord of the universe is key. I love what Oswald Chambers has to say:
The morning is a critically important time of day. You must never face the day until you have faced God, nor look into the face of others until you have looked into His. You cannot expect to be victorious, if you begin your day in your own strength alone.
Begin the work of every day after having been influenced by a few reflective, quiet moments between your heart and God.
Do not meet with others, even the members of your own family, until you have first met with the great Guest and honored Companion of your life - Jesus Christ.
Meet with Him alone and regularly, having His Book of counsel open before you. Then face the ordinary, and the unique, responsibilities of each day with the renewed influence and control of His character over all your actions.
Those who have accomplished the most for God in this world are those who have been found on their knees early in the morning

3 comments:
This has always been a struggle for me. I am definitely a night owl. Thanks for the reminder. That is the second time I have seen that Oswald Chamber quote in less than a week.
I love that verse!! Thanks for the encouragment and the challenge to maintain morning devos!!
Such an apt word, Laura! And yes, housework amidst preschoolers is like raking leaves in a tornado...;)
Post a Comment