Saturday, March 15, 2008

The soup for the sick

Because a friend of mine and her family were ill a couple of weeks ago, I was motivated to create my own simple and healthy version of the classic chicken noodle soup to bless them with.
We have an epidemic of nasty cold/flu/bronchitis/pneumonia bugs circling Athey right now and I am always up to bless those I love with food. And although it was in the sixties a short time ago in P-town, it's now back in the rainy 40s. What is better when you're sick than hot soup on a cold rainy day?! OK, maybe a steaming cup of tea, a great book and a chance to curl up with your favorite blanket by the fire while enjoying your soup. And of course the children would be taken care of by Mary Poppins..... Proverbs 31 version :)

Anyway, back to the soup. I must preface this by saying I adore cooking, I've been doing it for as long as I can remember, I went to culinary school for a short season and still to this day am never quite satisfied with any recipe I produce. I am always seeking to make things better and this is a decent version of what I hope will eventually turn into a great soup.

So, for those that have requested the recipe, I will try and tell you what I did because I didn't follow a recipe. In fact I rarely do these days. I simply used my instincts and what happened to be on hand to save myself a trip out in the rain :)

Chicken Noodle Soup:
1 small onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
3 carrots, diced
Note: cut your veggies according to your preference. Some people like chunky soup, some like finer textures.
1 quart Organic chicken stock (sold in cartons... I buy it in six packs at Costco or make my own. A good stock (not from a can) greatly changes the quality of whatever you cook.
1 quart water
12 ounces frozen chicken tenders (sold in a large bag in the Costco freezer section. And for the person that asked, no they aren't the breaded ones:) You can also sub regular chicken breasts. Just cut them up so they cook faster.
Seasoned salt
1 or 2 fresh or dried bay leafs
Pepper
Fresh or dried parsley
Note: seasonings and amounts are a matter of personal preference. You can add dill, oregano, thyme or garlic if you would like as well. Just watch the salt. You can always add more later but you can't take it away.
6 ounces Whole grain rotini noodles. Buy whatever shape you would like. They make whole grain pastas in a variety of shapes and sizes. This is a great way to sneak in some whole grains to your kiddos and they won't know the difference.

In a stock pot bring stock, water, veggies, tenders (just throw them in frozen as is) and seasonings to a boil. Lower heat, cover with a lid and simmer (keep at a low boil) for 30 minutes or so. If you forget to put the lid on your liquid will evaporate. If you can easily shred the chicken, it is cooked through. With a slotted spoon, remove the chicken and then shred or chop it into bite sized pieces. Remove the bay leaves at this point as well. Return meat to the pot and return to a boil and add pasta. Cook according to the directions on the box. Taste and adjust seasonings and enjoy. SO easy!
You can also do this in a crock pot just as easily. It freezes well and is great to keep on hand for the cold and flu season :)

I hope this helps and give me a call if you need some!
There's also a scrumptious homemade bread that I often pair this with. I will post that recipe later.

No comments: